Presiding: Hester (Chair)
Call to Order: 12:32, followed by Serenity Prayer, Step 10, Tradition 10, Concepts 10 and 3.
Voting members: Eleven voting members are present so quorum is achieved: Cheryl, Alaina, Jeri, Liz, Dylan, Nancy K., Laura, Sandie, Patty, Olivia, Dave H.
Agenda for October meeting approved. September meeting minutes accepted with the correction of the spelling of Touro University.
Board Member Reports
Chair – Hester: A new meeting list is available.
Vice Chair – Olivia: The health fair at Summerlin went well. We gave out much information.
Recording Secretary – Cheryl: Nothing to report.
Corresponding Secretary – Alaina: There is a handout available about the new meeting for newcomers. There is also a notice from WSO about an amendment to the bylaws about virtual service. There are also handouts with suggestions for meetings.
Treasurer – Dave: We have a reserve of $1,000. Our balance is $1,978.58.
Board Adviser – Patty B.: The Bylaws and Policy Manual revisions are available. Action Item for all group reps: Take these revisions to your groups for discussion. Communicate any needed changes to any committee member. We will vote on these changes at the next meeting.
Dave: He will email his report about the Austin event. Retention was a big theme. Also anonymity. There are now official OA pages on Facebook. Encourage people to reach out. Our own stories may reach out to newcomers. Action item for Dave: email this report to Alaina for distribution.
Alaina: Nothing to report.
Alternate Delegates – Both positions are still open. We need alternates. The requirement is one year of abstinence and two years of service above the group level, but we can waive those requirements for the right candidates.
Standing Committee Chair Reports
Voice Mail Chair –Patty C.: Not present. Hester reported that we are working on technical problems in retrieving messages.
PI/PO Chair – Nancy K.: There were seven volunteers at the health fair. Touro University is still interested in having an event. We are also still working with the post office. In Region 6, PIPO folders are made available to each group. Perhaps we should consider emulating them.
Ways and Means Chair – Jeri: She is still working on the wall hanging.
12 Steps Within Chair – Alaina: The workshop is today.
Literature Chair – Tyler and Inbar: Not present.
Directory Chair – Laura: A new directory is available. This will be updated quarterly. Action item for all group representatives: Check with your group and report any needed corrections.
Newsletter Chair – Eve: She is working on this project.
Webmaster – Laura M.: The new website is up and running. Meeting information is taken from www.oa.org. Action item for all: Check that your meeting information is correct on www.oa.org. They are still working to find a way to keep the list updated.
We are not doing the cardio health fair, due to the cost.
Retreat in Mesquite
Dave (from St. George) will chair the retreat committee. It needs to be in October, 2017, not in the spring. Tentative dates are Oct. 20-22 or Oct 13-15. Discussion occurred about the suitability of the Casa Blanca casino. Perhaps the Rising Star casino would be better. A motion was made, seconded, and approved to have the retreat in Mesquite on Oct 20-22 or Oct 13-15, 2017.
A motion was made to change the meeting length from one hour to one and a half hours. The motion was seconded but defeated.
Setting Annual Goals
A discussion occurred about whether we should set annual goals. This was tabled until next month. Action item for all: Bring up this issue in your groups.
Next meeting will be on Nov. 12, at 12:30.
Meeting adjourned at 1:45 after the Serenity Prayer.
Minutes Submitted by
Cheryl B (Recording Secretary)